What we love…
- Pizza East is located in the heart of Shoreditch, one of London's hottest neighborhoods at the moment. The restaurant claims the ground floor of the historic (and famous) Lipton's Tea Building, which is marked with a giant 'TEA' sign on the top which makes it easy to find if you've never been there.
- Don't be fooled by the name, Pizza East is more than just pizza you'll also find starters like veal bone marrow and artichoke, aubergine fritti along side sirloin steak and pork belly mains. Since we love our pizza we couldn't resist trying the classic 10" margherita, which is always our litmus test for the quality of an Italian restaurant.
- The margherita had a nice thin crust with the quintessential golden air bubbled edges, but the crust was slightly more doughy than your typical Italian thin crust. The simple toppings of buffalo mozzarella, tomato, and basil were fresh and delicious, and the portion was plenty big for one person (maybe two if you order a few antipasta dishes as well). If you aren't a pizza person try the cheese board, it's chalk full of local cheese and cured meats and was also a highlight.
- The restaurant rustic yet modern, and because it's so popular it tends to be a little on the noisy side. Although the restaurant wasn't full when we arrived, the staff had us take a seat at the bar to 'wait' for our table—perhaps a ploy to get us to purchase one of their cocktails, or maybe just to point out how popular they really are. Either way we obliged and we're glad we did. The cocktails are tasty and strong, so if you plan on sampling some boozy bevys while you're there, you might as well start while you wait. If this trick annoys you skip the drinks and you'll likely be seated faster.
- From Thursday to Saturday there's DJ's spinning in the evening and the restaurant is open late—hello pre-dancing drinks! Under Pizza East you'll find Concrete, the uber chic bar that turns into a party from Thursday to Saturaday after 9pm.
- On Sunday morning stop in early if you aren't too hungover and snag a seat for the fantastic Pizza East brunch with tons of awesome dishes including green eggs and ham.