V & A Museum
What we love…
- This museum hold 4.5 million objects from all corners of the world spanning almost every medium you can think of in decorative art and design.
- Jewelry, furniture, ceramics, photographs, ironwork, sculpture, paintings, drawings, textiles, and costume are all covered with much, much more.
- The Dress Collection is the most comprehensive fashion collection in the Britain and one of our favorite, it contains some extraordinary examples of suiting, accessories, corsets, bustles, and designer dresses (including Chanel's famous LBD) and gowns.
- Don't miss Tipu's Tiger a mechanical toy created for the Sultan of India in the 18th Century. This pieces shows a British soldier being attached by a tiger and actually has an organ inside that releases sounds like the wooden man is being mauled—pretty cool for the 18th Century. This is one of the museums most popular pieces and worth checking out.
- With free admission to the permanent collection all year round (with a £3 suggested donation of course) it's a wonderful place to explore and find some design inspiration—especially on a rainy day.
- There are always special exhibits happening, but keep in mind that those are ticketed at an additional cost, and often have long lines for entry. You can purchase tickets for special exhibits online prior to arriving so check on the website to see what's on the go, but don't be discouraged if online is sold out, they always save some tickets to sell at the door.
- Hours are extended on Wednesdays and the last Friday of every month until 10pm.