What we love…
- Sushi lovers congregate to wait in long lines outside this legendary Sushi bar situated inside the Tsukiji Fish Market each day. Sushi Dai is said to have some of the world's freshest sushi and is touted by many as an experience not to be missed.
- The Omakase, or ‘trust the chef’ meal is the one you'll want to go for at ¥3, 900. The Omakase will get you 11 pieces of sushi along with tea and miso soup. The first 10 pieces of sushi will be hand selected by the chef for you, and the last piece is your choice. There's also an à la carte menu if you'd prefer to pick and choose your pieces.
- Each piece is sinfully delicious, so much so that there is little need for soy sauce with most and the chef will let you know which pieces should be eaten without the soy sauce for maximum satisfaction—“no sauce”. The rice base of each bite is slightly warm and cooked to al dente perfection.
- The ‘O-Toro’, or fatty tuna belly course, is extremely popular for its unbelievable texture that melts in your mouth. The freshness of the fish is proven with the red clam or ‘Akagi’ course that's still moving on its bed of rice when it's placed in front of you.
- The restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch (yes, sushi for breakfast!) and only sits about 13 people at a time so the lines get notoriously long beginning as early as 4:30 am. If you are traveling with a partner the wait is much easier as you can take turns exploring the surrounding market while the other person holds your spot in line.
- The staff here is beyond friendly and go out of their way to make your meal enjoyable, even posing for photos if you like.
- Is this the best sushi we've ever had? Well it's up there, that's for sure!