The New York Shaving Company
What we love…
- The New York Shaving Company isn't quite as old as it looks with its vintage leather chairs and wood paneled walls—but it does pay homage to an era gone by where discerning men gathered for a refined hot shave, steamed towel and all.
- If you've never had a hot shave before you're in for a treat. It'll run you $45 for their 'ultimate shave', which will get you the full-on experience. First you'll be wrapped in a hot towel, followed by a pre-shave oil message to soften your skin. You'll then be lathered with cream and twice shaved with an old school straight razor, once with and once across the grain to achieve that extra close finish. You'll be wrapped in another hot towel while your barber prepares a replenishing facemask to restore and soothe your skin. After your mask you'll get another hot towel wrap, this time infused with lemon, followed by rose water and the application of their own brand of after shave balm. Sounds like a pretty relaxing way to spend a half an hour, no?
- Mustache, beard trims, and even haircuts are also on the menu, but their real specialty is the shave.
- You can also score some tools to keep up your new close cut look here, you'll find a full range of grooming products including: razors, brushes, exotic looking oils and creams that will all make your medicine cabinet look much more sophisticated than it is.
- This might not be something you do regularly (not everyone can afford to pay $45 to shave) but once in a while isn't it nice to get back to a more civilized time where men took grooming seriously?