The Monocle Shop
What we love…
- New York small done right.
- This shop is only about 200 square feet (a lot like your first apartment in New York) but how it likely differs, unless you are a style guru, is the superior layout—perfectly organized and edited.
- The Monocle Shop is an extension of the Monocle magazine brand that runs ten issues annually ruminating on design, culture, and international affairs. The shop stocks the magazine, as well as apparel, accessories, and lifestyle products for the consumer with international tastes.
- You'll find a selection of quality pieces such as Ettinger fine leather goods, stylish Porter hand-luggage, luxurious cashmere throws, as well as a very narrow selection of tailored blazers, fine wool sweaters, and cashmere scarves. Keep an eye out for their collaboration projects like the perfect travel blazer they did with Italian brand Barena.
- We're totally into the artful books and prints on display like the colorful and cute illustrated maps, as well as our personal favorite, the Nippon Nordic Air plane by illustrator Gaku Nakagawa.
- The merchandise here is aimed at a very specific market, at a very specific price point. In other words, don't expect to find something for every taste, it's not that kind of store. It's safe to say if you don't know what a monocle is, you probably won't be able to afford much apart from the magazine.
- With 6 locations across the world, and their cafes up and running in both Tokyo and London, Monocle is steadily growing into a super brand for the well traveled elite. These outpost shops are the perfect place to snag everything you need for a jet set international weekend in Europe.