What we love…
- Where to start… Late night Izakaya is one of our favorite Japanese traditions. Yummy drinks and eats all in a relaxed, fun environment, where you can unwind and let loose.
- Open late (2 am most days and 4 am on the weekend), this tiny store front is popular with the after hours crowd looking to score some delicious drinks and grub to keep their party going. As a result it is loud—really, really loud—so skip it if you want to have an intimate conversation, this place isn't really a date night sort of restaurant.
- Kenka serves beer, sake, wine, and a few specialty mixed drinks (we liked the coffee and brandy float) the so you can keep the party going over cheap booze and good music.
- Menu is giant with over 100 small plates such as ramen, yakitori, rice bowls, barbeque fish, and octopus skewers. There's also a number of odd specialties on the menu like bull penis, pig brain, and turkey testicles if you're looking for some exotic tastes. If not, don't be afraid there's plenty of other more main stream goodies to choose that are decidedly easier on an alcohol laden stomach.
- Prices per tiny plate are fairly cheap, but Izakaya can add up to a pretty steep price tag if you're not careful. Once the beer starts flowin', you start chowin' down and ordering more and more, the bill will quickly add up.
- The interior is eclectic, with sexual references dotted around the eatery. You'll see naked statues and humorous porn images on the menu, all aimed at shaking off the seriousness of your day-to-day grind and getting you into the right social head-space. When you get your bill you'll be given pink crystals meant for the cotton candy machine at the front so you can make yourself dessert for the road.
- All this sounds great right? Well you're not the only one that thinks it sounds like a good idea, as you can imagine there's a line up pretty much any time of day. Reservations are taken, however not over the weekend when line ups are longest. Head directly to the employee with the clip board and get your name on the list, that way you can wander around close by and not have to stand in the doorway lusting after the sizzling plates and pitchers of beer your fellow diners have already began to indulge in.