What we love…
- Just when you thought you've exhausted every tube meat in the city, Japadog shows up and blows all your preconceived snack notions right out of the cloudy hot dog water.
- As the name suggests, this is a Japanese take on the classic American hot dog. But beware, this is not your average dog—and it's not really trying to be.
- Japadog uses Japanese style ingredients to top their sausages like bonito flakes, aonori, shichimi, and caviar, with sauces like spicy mayo, teriyaki, and miso. Even the fries are spiced with some interesting toppings such as curry, or our personal favorite wasabi, which we were craving days afterwards.
- So what you get is basically some sort of mutant American-Japanese street food, that doesn't quite fit into either category. However, as we all know from grade school, just because you're different doesn't mean you're not good. Sure this isn't really a hot dog, but it is a great snack if you're looking to diversify you're street eat options.
- If you're a carnivore at heart you'll probably want the 'Love Meat', which has a hearty, meaty, cheese sauce over a pork sausage. But if you happen to be a vegetarian don't disappear the 'Yasai' is a veggie sausage topped with sour sauce.
- Although you might assume Japadog is straight out of Tokyo, it's actually a Canadian chain that's testing the waters in the American market.