Labour and Wait
What we love…
- Quality craftsmanship and design of simple everyday objects is the focus at Labour and Wait. As the name suggests each piece you find here has been laboured over and is waiting for someone with good taste (like yourself) to give it a home.
- The owners of the shop are former menswear designers who felt the harsh reality of the constant change that comes with seasonal fashion trends. They felt that well designed, quality products weren't getting the props they deserved, and so they sought to create a place where apparel, home goods, and beautiful everyday items that have been built to last, could be honored for their craftsmanship and design. In 2000 the team made their dream a reality and Labour and Wait was born.
- The design duo sourced great products for the home like soap dishes, scrub brushes, glassware, tea towels, stationery, office supplies, tools, and gardening supplies. The home collection is complemented nicely with a few basic apparel pieces and a ton of fantastic accessories like waxed canvas and leather bags, printed handkerchiefs, and even pocket flasks. All the products share the commonality that they are all functional well designed pieces, that look great to boot.
- Today Labour and Wait is one of the most popular independent shops in London, praised for their clean curated selection of useful, well designed merchandise. Shoppers will love that they can return time and time again and find the same great pieces, and a few new fantastic finds.
- What you buy for your home need not be trendy, but it should be skillfully made, serve a purpose, and be aesthetically pleasing. As the British designer William Morris once said: “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”—we couldn't agree more.