Tim Ho Wan
What we love…
- Hong Kong is extremely diverse when it comes to food, but one specialty you simply must make a point to indulge in is dim sum—and if you're going to choose only one place to eat it, it has to be Tim Ho Wan.
- Dim sum is a series of small bite-size dishes served in steamer baskets that are piled up high on your table. Everything is bite-sized so you can share each plate, making it possible to try just about everything on the menu. At Tim Ho Wan you'll want to take advantage as pretty much everything on the menu is steller.
- Everything on the menu is good, so be adventurous and try a few things, since it's cheap you won't feel guilty about splurging. If you have limited room do yourself a favor and order the baked bun stuffed with barbeque pork, easily the most popular plate. Crispy, flaky, salty, and sweet this dish hits all the major deliciousness criteria, and has become legendary in pork loving circles.
- Steamed shrimp dumplings are also very tasty and ended up being one of our favorite dishes, and the fried noodles with a little chili sauce made a nice side dish.
- Tim Ho Wan is a tiny hole-in-the-wall eatery that won the stone cold hearts of the Michelin star writers in 2010, and entered the famous food guide as the cheapest Michelin star restaurant listed. If you care about Michelin stars, (not that you really should) you'll probably be familiar with how expensive most of the recommendations in their guide are, making them totally unrealistic for regular travelers who have any sort of budget. Cheap delicious eats are sort of what Asia is known for, so everyone was pretty excited when Tim Ho Wan joined ranks with some of the world's best restaurants.
- Before Tim Ho Wan got into the Michelin guide there were long line ups, now you're looking at an excessively long wait to get a table. But as you know in Asia long lines mean there's something worth waiting for so bring a book, some music, and a friend to chat with to pass the time.
- Since making it big Tim Ho Wan has opened another location in Hong Kong, to help fill the demand, but alas both line ups are long. Singapore also recently got their own shiny new Tim Ho Wan location, which we can't wait to try.
Hours & Location
Tim Ho Wan
Sun - Sat: 8:00-21:30
- 9-11 Fuk Wing StreetHong Kong , Central and Western Hong Kong IslandHong Kong S.A.R., China
- Shop no. 8, Tsoi Yuen Mansion Phase 2, 2-20 Kwong Wah StreetHong Kong , Central and Western Hong Kong IslandHong Kong S.A.R., ChinaPhone: +852 2332 2896