Bird Garden & Flower Market
What we love…
- To get a look at an interesting Chinese past time make your way to the Bird Garden in Kowloon. Here you'll find a traditional Chinese Garden filled with local men swooning over their caged birds—you read that right, birds.
- Just like you would see in a North American dog park, these men have brought out their pets for an afternoon of sun and socializing.
- Since the Bird Garden is dedicated to vendors who sell songbirds and bird supplies (cages, feed, toys etc…) naturally this is where the hobbies gather to show off their pets, and perhaps purchase more. Oddly enough it's really only elderly men who seem to indulge in this hobby, as we don't spot a woman anywhere pampering their feathered fouls.
- Although it's not advised to feed the birds, a smile and genuine interest will get you a photo with one of the proud pet owners.
- Around the corner you'll find a huge flower market where street vendors and shops hawk a wide range of tropical and exotic plants and flowers. You can score both real and fake flowers so if faux flowers are your thing you might be able to find a souvenir to bring home.
- These are two separate streets (Yuen Po Street is where you'll find the Bird Garden, and the flowers are found on Flower Market Road) however since they're so close and a fairly quick walk it's best to do them at the same time.